A community of travellers who have pitched camp at Victoria Embankment say they hope to stay in the area for two weeks.

The large group were given a 24-hour leave notice by Nottingham City Council on Monday, May 21.

The camp, consisting of more than 15 caravans, reportedly arrived on its current site at the beginning of the week.

However, residents say they have been in the area for longer and have been moving between greenfield sites.

Marie, a member of the traveller community, said: “We feel homeless. The council has asked us to leave but maybe we can have two more weeks here.

“That’s up to them though. We’ll stay until we’re kicked out.

“We’re Irish Gypsies. We’ve come over from southern Ireland for a few weeks, maybe a few months, to visit friends and family over here.”

“We’ve had gatherings of over 50 friends so it’s been good.

“We don’t know where we’ll go next. Anywhere where we can pitch up like this.”

Marie’s aunt, Anne-Marie, added: “The council have been good to us. They came down today to give us rubbish bags and waste bins. They haven’t been aggressive and nobody has got angry. We’re just looking for a place to stay.

“We don’t tend to get any trouble from the locals. Around Nottingham it’s nice and people have been kind enough to us. A friend walked down to the local shop and wasn’t bothered by anybody.“

Resident Leonie Collier, 32, said: “I don’t understand the lifestyle of travellers or the legalities around their rights.

“They have pitched up on a cricket pitch, so people can’t play while they are there.”

“My biggest concern is where they put their toilet waste. There’s dog fouling as well.”

Miss Collier said that, so far, residents were unconcerned about the travellers’ arrival.

She added: “However, the process to remove the travellers from where they are is not fast enough. I think that the council should be given more powers to be able to do it quickly.”

CBJ is contacted the Nottingham City Council and awaiting comment.